Medipass enables you to process Medicare claims online, all from your browser and without a terminal. 🎉
Here are some things that you will need to know to get started:
Medicare is a Pro feature.
To celebrate the launch, we are offering access to our Medicare integration at no charge until 1st September 2019. After which, Medipass Pro will cost a monthly charge of $20 and 20c per transaction. For more details on how this is charged and when, check out this article.
How to activate Medicare
Step 1: Request access by filling in this form here.
- We will be in touch with further details within 3 business days.
Step 2: Ensure you have signed up to Medipass. Please make sure you have:
- Created a Medipass account (you can create one here);
- Claimed your business;
- Added your practice locations (instructions here); and
- Added healthcare providers that you would like to use Medicare.
Step 3: Complete an identity check
- You will be contacted by Medipass to complete an identity check of the business owners. This is to ensure that payments are being made to the correct provider.
- If you have any questions about this process, please speak with your support consultant at the time.
Step 4: Submit Medicare Online forms - Home stretch!
- Our customer success team will determine what forms need to be submitted and pre-fill as much as possible.
- Once submitted, after 5 business days you will be approved for Medicare Online!
You’re ready to raise a claim!
Once the above steps have been completed, you’re ready to send a Medicare claim. In order to do this, navigate to medipass.com.au and sign in with your Medipass Provider Account.
- Select ‘+ Payment Request’
- Select the ‘Medicare’ payment option.
- Complete the form and hit Submit
How Medicare works.
Medipass enables you to send bulk billed and private patient claims to Medicare. This is ideal for providers who want to automatically claim with Medicare, without the need for a terminal or their patient's physical Medicare card.
With Medicare bulk bill, providers can claim for eligible services billed at Medicare Benefits Scheme (MBS) rates and receive payments direct from Medicare.
With Medicare private patient claims, providers can charge for eligible services at or above the MBS rates and have benefits paid by Medicare to patients or claimants. Patients must pay for the service prior to claiming, but typically receive their benefit payment by the next business day and do not need to submit a claim to Medicare.
Important things to note before you begin.
Our Medicare integration is made available to providers who are registered with Medicare and hold an active Medicare issued provider number for each practice location.
If you are NOT registered with Medicare or do not have an active Medicare issued provider number, please first complete a Medicare registration:
- Medicare registration for allied healthcare professionals
- Medicare registration for medical practitioners
Our Medicare integration supports General Practitioners, Medical Specialists, Dentists and Allied Healthcare Professionals, and provides the ability to lodge claims for:
- General and referred services;
- Permitted telehealth scenarios;
- Dental scenarios (Child Dental Benefits Scheme) - please ensure you're familiar with DHS rules applicable to this scheme;
- Permitted remote, regional, residential aged care facility, in-home, after-hours and other out of consultation room scenarios;
- Hospital inpatient (admitted) scenarios;
- Simple pathology services by qualified providers; and
- Overrides and exceptions: duplicate service overrides, aftercare overrides, restrictive overrides and multiple attendance
Please note these important considerations:
- If you are already using Medicare Online to process Medicare and DVA claims via your practice management software, please talk to our team before signing up as you may not be able to use both Medipass and your existing system at the same time.
- Department of Veteran Affairs (DVA) claims are not currently supported.
- The ability to use Medipass to accept payment for private patient claims is currently limited to providers who have enabled HICAPS Go. For other providers, you will be able to use Medipass for the claim, but will be required to use alternative options to collect payment from your patient. If you would like to use Medipass for the patient payment and do not already have HICAPS Go, please follow these instructions.
If you need any help at all, please let us know we would love to help! You can contact us via the chat bubble on the bottom right of any screen or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.