Terminal integration is a beta feature
The following feature is currently in beta, and is therefore made available to providers at no cost. You will be advised of any pricing changes in advance of them coming into effect, and you are able to cease using the feature at any time.
Only selected businesses currently have access to HICAPS terminal integration. If you would like to join the waitlist, please register your details here. We will be in touch when it's time to get set up.
How terminal integration works
Medipass' terminal integration feature enables you to enter claim information into your Medipass portal, and then send the claim directly to your HICAPS terminal without manually keying in information into the terminal itself. This is ideal for patients who wish to process private health insurance claims with their existing physical cards.
Medipass only sends private health insurance claims and the supporting gap payments to a terminal.
The following terminal features are not supported by Medipass:
- We do not currently support card payments which do not have an accompanying HICAPS private health insurance claim. These card payment requests can be processed directly to a patients mobile phone. Click here to learn more.
- Medicare claims cannot be sent to a terminal. Click here for details on how to process Medicare claims via Medipass.
- Other HICAPS claim types, such as Workcover, are not supported.
Step 1: Check your system configuration
In order to send claims, Medipass must be able to find your HICAPS terminal. In order to do this, your computer and your terminal must be on the same network. There are two connection options:
Connect both your terminal and your computer to the same network:
- Ensure your terminal is connected to your modem via ethernet. Make sure there is no connection to your phone line. If you have your terminal connected to your phone line, Medipass will not be able to find your terminal.
- Ensure your computer is connected to the same network as your terminal. Often, terminals are connected to the internet via a different network to what practice computers are connected with. Medipass can only find a terminal if it is on the same network as the terminal.
Ethernet cable from your terminal to your computer:
- Unplug your network cable from your computer.
- Turn off the terminal.
- On your computer, turn on Internet Sharing.
On a PC: Go to Network Adapter > Wifi > Properties > Sharing.
On a Mac: Go to System Preferences > Sharing > Internet Sharing.
- Connect the network cable from your computer to your terminal.
- Turn on the terminal.
Step 2: Download and install software
Install the Medipass software that enables connection to your terminal. Click the link below for either Mac or Windows to download the software to your computer.
Once installed, you will be asked to enter your Medipass account username and password, which is the same username and password that you use to access your Medipass provider portal.
During the setup process, you will be asked to:
- Select the practice which the terminal you are connecting to is located at
- Select the terminal from the list
- Provide a descriptive name for your terminal
If you have not set up your practices in Medipass, click here.
The terminals which are shown are the terminals we can see on the same network as your computer. If your terminal is not listed, we recommend confirming that the terminal is on the same network.
Once installed, you will be able to view:
- The provider numbers that have been enabled on the terminal
- A green light for each terminal we are able to connect to on your network
If you would like to add or remove a provider number from your terminal, please contact HICAPS Support.
You're now ready to send a claim from Medipass to your HICAPS terminal.